Monday, May 15, 2006

Why do we go to church?

One of my college catechetics professors said that the reason Catholics youth groups, etc. are not as well attended as those of Protestants lies in our respective reasons for going to church. Most Catholics, he said, go to church on Sundays out of obligation, and I tend to agree with him. We go because we have always gone, and we feel like we should. On the other hand, it seems (notice I said seems) that many non-Catholics go because they "enjoy" it. The same obligation is not there. If they stopped enjoying it, I think many would stop going. They don't feel that they have to go to church on Sunday to be a good Christian.

I have seen, or rather heard, confirmation of this a couple times lately. If I ever listen to the actual radio, I listen to Air 1 Christian radio. I love this station. It is not at all preachy like most that I have heard, and says nothing to show favor to one denomination over another. However, from these people who claim to be (and are) strong Christians, I have heard a few things that show this lack of obligation to Sunday church.

The DJ one Monday was explaining how the day before he had been driving to church and realized that he smelled like onions. He didn't want to bother those around him, so he didn't go to church that day. Recently one of the sound clips they have been playing is a listener saying that sometimes it is hard to him to get to church so listening to them is his "church away from church."

To me following the 3rd Commandment necessarily includes going to mass on Sunday. So what do you think? Am I completely off in saying that Catholics have stronger sense of obligation for Sunday mass than others? Hopefully we enjoy it too, but I still think this is true.


No comments: