Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Priests are human too!

Every year the priests of my diocese have a retreat at the abbey where I teach, which is only 4 miles from where I grew up. Each year since my brother was ordained in 1998, my parents have hosted a cook-out for all the priests on the first day of the retreat. Having these 40 some priests just having fun at my house has been one of many chances I have had to see priests being "normal." I think that too many people, young men ("priestibili") included, do not ever consider this aspect of the priesthood. I wish that I help more and more people experience this. I think it could only increase vocations.

Here are a few pictures just to illustrate that priests really are normal people too.

The Nigerians love to laugh, which then makes everyone else laugh.



Of course everyone loves food.





My brother schoolin' me in volleyball.



More games.



Even Bishop Sartain (second from left, gray shirt) made it for his last time.

No comments: