Sunday, June 04, 2006

I need to vent.

My wife and I took a little trip last weekend to celebrate our anniversary, and as you all probably know, my wife is about 9 months pregnant. One day we were sitting in the hotel lobby talking to a couple sitting next to us who had 4 kids of their own, and obviously the topic of conversation was having children. Eventually the husband asked us, "So are you on your honeymoon?" I promptly let him know it was our one-year anniversary, but there are several things here that really bug me:

First, it is extremely sad that it is even possible/likely that a young couple would be pregnant and on their honeymoon (and no I don't mean just a couple days pregnant like Steve and his wife might be right now :).

Second, it doesn't seem like it was that long ago that it wouldn't have been proper to ask such a question. I know I am pretty young, but I still remember when being pregnant before marriage was frowned upon.

Finally, and this is the one that really bugs me, I hate, and yes I mean hate, that just because we are a young pregnant couple we get grouped with all young pregnant couples. I know that this isn't really practical, but I just wish there were terms that could distinguish between licit and illicit sexuality instead of just grouping all of us together.

Sorry, I just needed to vent. This is kind of a sensitive issue with me. I guess I could be wrong, but when I have made the sacrifice and struggle to live chastity and wait for my wife as I was supposed to, no one really gets to see it. Yes that seems prideful, but there is probably nothing from my life that I am more proud of than that, and I think that is something worth being proud of.

No comments: