Friday, July 07, 2006

A new reason to be mad at the way the world works.

I really truly very strongly dislike the mentality that only accepts planned pregnancies. This is probably not much of a shock to any of you. I am sure I don't need to explain how this is a defective lifestyle, or how it contributes to the evil of abortion, etc, etc. Today though I have a new gripe. Health insurance.

I have been doing some searching for a family health insurance plan, and I finally found one that I like. It has a low deductible, a good prescription plan, and so on, but, oh wait, you have to pay the extra $200 a month for maternity coverage, but they won't pay anything for maternity until you have had the plan for a year! If I could type in a scream I would.

Now why would an insurance company do this. Let's think about it. If my wife an I were on birth control, and therefore not open to unplanned pregnancies, and if on the outside chance pregnancy did happen we could turn to abortion, then I would not get maternity insurance until I was ready to get pregnant. Insurance companies won't make money if people only pay for insurance when they are actually going to use it. So in order to keep people from picking up maternity the month before they need it, those of us who are open to life at any time get the shaft.

I would never say that a pro-choice lifestyle is better, and I probably wouldn't even say that it is easier, but it is more convenient. When we look at our Catholic history though, has convenience ever been a sign of being on the right path? Was it convenient for Francis to sleep on a rock? Was it convenient for Thomas More to oppose the king? Was it convenient for Maximilian to be Polish during WWII? Was it convenient for Mary to be the mother of God? I think I can look at inconvenience as a sign of being on the right path.

No comments: