Thursday, April 20, 2006

What can it hurt?

This is a question that we have all asked ourselves once or twice in a lifetime. We usually ask ourselves this when there is something we really want to do, but we know that it really probably will hurt. In my short time of being married, and now with a child coming soon, I have begun to realize that I am asking the wrong question. I should not be asking “what” but “who can it hurt?”

“When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child.” Up to this point in my life it would not have been as big a deal to ask “what can it hurt,” but that is childish reasoning. If I am truly to “put aside childish things” I must realize that there are more people than just me who are depending on me each day.

I see my wife being pregnant, and I realize that there is no way for her to not realize that someone else is depending on her. This truly is a special gift that God has given to women, and we can never fully appreciate. But he has given us men a similar gift. I pray that God will always help me to find the strength and courage to support those who lean on me in this world. They are who it can hurt, and I hope to support them as our Father supports us each day.

No comments: