Thursday, March 23, 2006



I love LOST

The only TV show that I really watch is LOST on ABC. My wife and I have been watching it from the get-go, and I have been amazed at the strong catechetical points in the show. (possible religious connections to movies, etc. Is a thing of mine. Expect posts on this pretty much every time I watch a movie.)

Last night's episode was great, and it wasn't just about any old every-day topic either. The whole episode was about marriage. Two of the castaways are married. One of the first scenes showed them entering the bedroom, but unlike many such scenes on TV, they made it very clear their intention was to get pregnant. They revealed this though by having the husband ask the wife, "Did you take your temperature?" Now this is just a guess, but I bet there was more than one person watching who heard this and said to themselves, "What does temperature have to do with getting pregnant?" Hello NFP! I think it is very possible that without realizing it the writers taught some viewers something about pregnancy they didn't know before. I mean, I didn't know that until I went to NFP classes.

That was just one thing I found interesting. As the show went on, it revealed more about the struggling marriage of Sun and Jin that has been the common theme of episodes about them. Yet, just like all the others, love perseveres. Again in contrast to what we might expect from TV, a married couple sticks it out and makes marriage work even when it is tough. It is such a refreshing site. I was actually cheering and applauding as I watched. I love this show! In this episode they did show her have a chance at an affair, but she assured her husband that she had always been faithful. Some are saying she lied, but I really, really hope the writers don't blow it.

No comments: